If you are gaining some skill in engraving but are still intimidated by creating your own designs, then this is the course for you. This course focuses primarily on the fundamentals of scroll design and shading. With instructor guidance, students will learn how to dissect complex scroll designs into more manageable, easy-to-understand parts. Students will also learn about common scroll design mistakes and how to avoid them. Once the foundation is set, students will be encouraged to develop their own scroll designs to use in an engraving project they can truly call their own.
- Proper scroll design and shading techniques
- Breakdown and study other engravers work to understand the foundation for proper scroll design
- Design, layout, and transfer solutions
- Create a balanced design and composition
- Creating depth and enhancing contrast
- Learn about background removal and treatments
- Scroll anatomy and terminology
- Using intertwined and overlapped scrolls
- Leaf shapes, leaf folds, flowers and borders
- Proper finish
Brass Zippo lighter.
Completion of a GRS Basic Metal Engraving course or instructor approval is required, as well as an understanding of proper tool sharpening and basic engraving techniques.
Please note: Course information subject to change without notice. Example images may not show exact techniques, methods, designs, etc., taught or demonstrated in course.